Animal Diseases

Animal diseases can have a large economic and social effect on the United Kingdom. Diseases can be classed as endemic (prevalent in the UK) or exotic (not currently present in the UK), they can also be notifiable. Notifiable animal diseases are required by law to be reported to the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency to investigate further.

Exotic notifiable animal diseases can affect a wide range of species including horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and chickens and other domestic animals such as birds, cats and dogs. Some diseases can also affect human health as well.

For further information on notifiable animal disease, please view the following website

The South Wales Police area is not considered more at risk of animal diseases than any other part of the country.

What you need to do

Inform your local Vet Practice if you are concerned about the disease status of your farm livestock animals or domestic pets. If a notifiable disease is suspected they will inform Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency who will investigate further.

Whether you keep one farm animal as a pet or a commercial flock/herd, they need to be registered. Please contact your local Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency office for further information.

Do not feed kitchen waste to farm livestock animals as it is illegal. This is one of the ways that exotic diseases like Foot and Mouth can be introduced to the country.

Abide by the animal movement regulations.

Before purchasing animals including domestic pets, check their health status.

Protect your livestock and domestic pets against disease with good biosecurity and vaccinate if there is a licensed vaccine available.

In the event of an outbreak of disease, follow advice from the Welsh Government and Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency to help protect your farm livestock animals and limit possible spread of disease.

For more information on all above please contact your Animal Health department at your Local Authority or the local Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency office.